When your home is your castle, you would raise an army to protect it

Fortunately, we know that army.

Berk Bilgen Insurance works with many different partners to ensure your most valuable investment is protected from the unknown. Our brokers will leverage a network of insurers to provide a policy to best protect your castle and its contents.

We recommend and sell Comprehensive Form Coverage only (see below for the differences).

Home Protection That Fits Your Needs

Protecting the largest investment of your life should not come with “what if?” Our brokers aren’t commission based, their focus is on helping you find the coverage that takes care of your specific needs. No more. No less.

Protect Your Property

Our policies cover your house plus detached garage (if you have one).

Protect your belongings: Your personal property such as furniture, home-entertainment equipment, computer, jewelry.*

Protect yourself: Should someone injure themselves while on your property.

Protect your living expenses: If loss or damage means you can’t live in your home temporarily.

*Limits apply.

why condo insurance matters

When you purchase a condominium, you own your unit as well as a share in the common areas of the condominium — the roof, basement, elevator, heating room, lobby, swimming pool, parking garage, or garden. As a condominium owner, you may be held responsible for harm you might cause to any part of your building, or to others who live or visit the condominium complex. A condominium insurance policy can remove some of the financial worries of condominium ownership.

You’ll need two separate policies to protect your investment.

The Condo Association provides coverage to the Building and Common Areas. Your own condo insurance policy covers your personal property, structural improvements to your unit and additional living expenses if you are the victim of fire, theft or other disaster listed in your policy. You will get liability protection to protect you for harm you might cause to any part of the building you live in or to others who live in or visit the condominium complex.

An important feature of your own insurance policy is loss assessment. As a condominium owner, you share responsibility with others in your building for common property. Loss assessment protects you from damage to these common areas.

A “master policy” is purchased and provided by the condominium board. This covers the common areas you share with others in your building for both liability and physical damage.

Sometimes the condominium corporation is responsible for insuring the individual condominium as it was originally built, including standard fixtures. In this case, you’d only be responsible for insuring your personal property and any alterations you or a previous owner have made to the original structure of the condominium, like remodeling the kitchen or bathroom. In other cases, the condominium corporation is responsible for insuring only the bare walls, floor, and ceiling. You’d be responsible for insuring your personal property, plus things like the kitchen cabinets, built-in appliances, plumbing, wiring, and bathroom fixtures. Take the time to find out what’s included in the condominium corporation’s policy. You can then decide what to include in your personal insurance policy.

Limitations in property policy coverage – Your standard property policy will have limitations in theft coverage for jewelry and furs, silverware, business property, bicycles, money, boat, and motor. If you own any of these special items, it’s a good idea to consider adding additional coverage to your policy.

 why tenant insurance matters

If you’re moving into your first apartment or rented home, you might think you don’t have anything of real value. A CD player, computer and some clothes may not look as if they’re worth much, but when you have to replace them with something new, it could break your budget. Say you’ve bought a computer on credit and it’s destroyed by fire or stolen. You’re still responsible for paying the balance to your creditor, even though you no longer have the item.

As a tenant or renter in someone else’s building, it’s a wise decision to take out a tenant insurance policy. It protects both your contents and your liability exposure. You see, as a tenant, you’re responsible for harm you might cause to any part of the building you live in, or to others who live or visit there.

If you forget to turn off the water in the bathtub while you’re talking to your friend, you could flood out your neighbours. You would be responsible to repair any resulting damages.

Other Things To Consider

There is optional coverage to protect against Sewer Backup, Overland Flood* and Earthquake. And you may want to add extra coverage for specific contents in your home, such as jewelry, furs, cameras, bicycles, and collectables.

*not available with all markets

did you know?

When you make a claim, a small portion of the claim is always paid by you first, this portion is called the deductible, then your insurance company pays the balance. The amount of your deductible affects the price of your insurance policy. The higher your deductible, the less the cost of your insurance premium.

There are three normal levels of property insurance:

Comprehensive Form Coverage insures your building and contents for the most common types of losses. When you have All Risk coverage, your building and contents are insured for everything, unless it’s specifically excluded from your policy (e.g. intentional damage to your own property would not be covered).

Broad Form Coverage includes a list of the most common types of things covered under your insurance. This is All Risk on the dwelling and Named-Perils on the contents. Everything is listed very clearly in your policy booklet so you have a complete and thorough understanding of what your insurance policy covers.

Standard Form Coverage is rare when insuring your home. This coverage only insures for a certain list of perils (fire, theft, hail, etc) for the home and contents and it is a very limited list.

After all, your home is probably the largest investment you will ever make — why would you not want to fully protect it.

Voluntary Payments for Medical Expenses covers medical costs if someone accidentally injures himself/herself as a result of your personal activities or the way you have maintained your property. It also covers injuries experienced by resident employees — such as nannies or housekeepers — while working for you. You don’t have to be found liable to make a claim under this coverage, but some limits do apply and may be different from company to company.

Voluntary Payments for Damage to Property of others is covered. This damage may occur as a result of your personal activities or the way your building is maintained or It may also be caused by pets or animals that you own or care for, or by the actions of your resident employees. This type of coverage would also include the intentional acts of other insured individuals under a certain age (set by the individual provider). You don’t have to be found liable to make a claim under this coverage, but some limits do apply and may be different from company to company.

Berk Bilgen Insurance Ltd.
#311 8925 51 Avenue NW
Edmonton, AB T6E 5J3

780.822.6042  780.468.2238
Toll Free: 1.844.822.6042


Office Hours
Weekdays: 9:30 am - 5:30 pm
Saturdays: Closed*by appointment only Sundays and Holidays: Closed


  • Coverage cannot be bound unless you have spoken to a broker and have confirmation; By providing your personal information you are authorizing a background check
  • BBI strongly recommends $5 Million Liability limit
  • Mid-term cancellations will generate fees
  • It is your responsibility to understand and maintain your policy and coverage

We are looking for people with great work ethic, computer and people skills, a great command of the English language and if you fit regardless of insurance experience.

Submit Resume

© 2019 Berk Bilgen Insurance Ltd.